The weather absolutely could not have been more beautiful yesterday. 75 degrees, partly cloudy, perfect breeze, just really a dream of a fall day, so Jason and I decided that it would be fun for all of us to accompany Bear to his football practice to enjoy some time in the park! We thought it was a great idea, but Autumn... Not so much. As soon as she discovered this plan, she was furious. She stomped her feet from the car to the house, shouting mean things to me all the way, and then slammed the door to her room. Well, I was more amused than anything else, because it was just such a hysterical thing to be mad about, but I still wanted her to know that behaving like that is unacceptable. We have been working on more constructive ways to vent feelings, so I brought her a notebook and asked her to please write me a letter explaining the problem, and that I would take it into advisement.
Here is the text of her first letter. Spelling has been corrected, but everything else is straight from her pencil to this blog!
First of all, I'm old enough to be able to stay by myself after school and do whatever I want to do instead of having to just do work after school all the time. Because every time you make me work or make me go places I don't want to go that are BORING after school when I don't want to, it makes me really mad. And it's unfair that Barrett always gets to play and do whatever he wants while I'm at cheerleading, because I am old enough to stay in my room and play while you take Barrett to football, and I'm almost 8 and Barrett's only 6, and I can do a scorpion, see (there was a drawing demonstrating this cheerleading move), so I don't need to go to the park and do homework and practice all the time!!! (Next page)
I really want to have a good day, but it always ends up bad, and of course that's because it's so boring to work and go places instead of doing whatever I want to do, and usually I never have time to play with my friends because I just have to work work work all day until bedtime. You don't ever let me do whatever I want to do. This is horrible. I really really really want it to be a good day and have some fun and stay home and watch TV and play with my friends. OK? Got it? Write back, OK? GOT IT!
So I wrote her back:
Dear Autumn,
Thank you for your letter. It is always better to write a letter expressing your feelings than it is to shout hateful things at people. I love you very much, and I want you to be happy. That is why it is important for you to have a variety of experiences, friends, and responsibilities. You made a commitment to be on the cheerleading team, so we are going to work very hard to do our best at it. You are also expected to have good behavior and do your chores if you want to get your allowance. You have plenty of time at school, after school and on weekends to play with your friends as well. I would say you have a pretty good life, and that you should be thankful and have a happy attitude.
Again, I appreciate your letter. You are a very sweet, smart girl, and I love you very much. Love, Mommy
Well, she read my letter, and stomped her feet and grunted at me, then stormed downstairs. Unfazed, I continued my Photoshopping. After she cooled off a little, she came upstairs crying with another letter.
This is what I feel like. I am kind of mad and kind of sad but I still love you even though I'm really really really really mad at you. Will you forgive me and let me have dessert tonight if it is a healthy dessert? I love you so much Mommy. Will you forgive me about my behavior today? I am sorry about everything. I love you a lot more than everybody else does. You're the best Mom I could ever have. Love, Autumn
I read it out loud, and by the end she was crying and hugging me. It was so cute! She had recovered enough to still have a little attitude left over when we got to the park, but overall it was a much better day than it could have been. I love that little girl!







This is cracking me up!
ReplyDeleteI love it!!! I remember writing mean notes to my mom if I couldn't do something and I found one I had hidden and it cracked me up. At that time it seems like the world will end if you can't do what you want. She sure is lucky to have such a wonderful mom!
ReplyDeletePLEASE!!! oh my goodness, this made my entire day!
ReplyDeletekori, i cried and laughed! thank you for sharing.
b.robinson
You are such a great mom! What a creative way to handle attitude from an 8 year old - love it!
ReplyDelete