Here is Norah snoozing in the Chicco umbrella stroller we bought while we were in NYC (perfect for easy subway riding!). Until now, I have spent my entire mommy career pronouncing it "Chee-ko." Because that's what it looks like, and that's what it should be. Well, I learned the other day from my friend Kara, who is expecting, that it is actually pronounced "Kee-ko." I was reluctant to believe her (even though she is remarkably intelligent and seemed quite confident about it), so I sneaked a peek on my iPhone behind her back. Turns out she was right!

Apparently it is an Italian brand, and "Chicco" is Italian for "berry." (At least according to my handy dandy free Google translator.) I find this to be highly annoying, for several reasons. One, it just LOOKS like it should be Chee-ko! Why be complicated? Two, I have apparently been walking around saying it incorrectly for years now. And three, now I feel very awkward about how to refer to it to other people. If I call it Chee-ko, will they be quietly judging me for saying it wrong? If I call it Kee-ko, will they think I'm crazy, confused, and/or pretentious? What's a mom to do?
*sigh
Oh, well, at least the stroller's cute!







Gee...I've been saying it wrong all these years too!
ReplyDelete