
Several years ago, in some random moment of creative industriousness, I decided to take one of my picture inspiration boards that hang in the office and convert it into a "Words of Wisdom" board on which to display some of my favorite quotes. I must have been in a Coco Chanel sort of mood that day, because in addition to my usual suspects, many of the quotes were from the word-wise fashion maven. The rest are from a mixture of diverse sources that I feel pretty adequately reflect my personality! : )
Here are some selections from my "Words of Wisdom" board!
..............................................................................................................................................................................
"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something, but to be someone." -Coco Chanel
"She is clothed with strength and dignity: She can laugh at the days to come." - Proverbs 31:25
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Albert Einstein
"Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door." - Coco Chanel
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.” - Jack Handy
"Stop eating so much!" -The Man Show
"In order to be irreplacable, one must always be different." - Coco Chanel
"After all... Tomorrow is another day." - Scarlett O'Hara
"If you go parachuting, and your parachute doesn't open, and your friends are all watching you fall, I think a funny gag would be to pretend you were swimming." - Jack Handy
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous." - Coco Chanel
"...Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." - James 1:19
"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." - Kate Moss
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." - Henry David Thoreau
..............................................................................................................................................................................
I realize that this is a bizarre mixture of quotes, but they were the ones that struck me at the time, and aside from perhaps the Jack Handy ones, I think all of them are pretty useful! : )
My favorite one is still the last one. I heard that quote on an air freshener commercial when I was at a very impressionable time in my life. I had just finished high school, and I was on my way to college at the ripe old age of 17. (Which, incidentally, was not the best idea in retrospect, but I suppose you live and learn!) Somehow this quote struck me, and I wrote it down and have carried it in the back of my mind ever since.
Unfortunately, when I first heard the quote, I was in no position to adequately envision the path I wanted my life to take, so I just took the quote to mean that instead of going to class, I should wander around the Honors College stomping grounds at the University of Central Arkansas writing cryptic things in my journal and hanging around with a crew of charmingly witty pseudo-hippies who shared my passion for deep philosophical thinking, midnight Waffle House runs and also not going to class. Like I said, going to college at 17 is probably not the best idea!
So when I realized that I had NO idea what I was doing at college (turns out there's not a degree track for bad poetry and playing spades in the lobby of your dorm at all hours of the night), I took the quote to mean that I should live the life I was currently imagining, which unfortunately for my poor mother and any chance she had at maintaining her sanity while attempting to guide me into a productive adult existence, involved moving to Colorado and spending my days snowboarding and my nights hoping to track down free wine coolers. Clearly that went well. ; )
10 years and about a million well-intentioned mistakes later, I feel like I'm finally starting to actually "get" that quote, and along with it, to get my life figured out a little. I think the main problem is that all along, I was going very confidently in the direction of my dreams, perhaps a little too confidently, but that I had no idea what sort of life I'd imagined. And now I know.
I know that I want to be a good wife, a good mother, and to bring joy to the people around me. I know that I want to be financially secure and professionally the best in my field. I know that I want to stay in good shape so that I am able to meet any physcial challege that life throws my way (and also to introduce my children to the joys of extreme sports!) I want to fill my life with beautiful images from my camera, beautiful memories for my family and a beautifully clean and organized house. I know that I will not do these things perfectly, and I am okay with that.
Because Scarlett O'Hara was right. Tomorrow really is another day. And every day is a new chance to try. A new chance to go confidently in the direction of my dreams and live the life I've imagined. Especially now that I know what sort of life that is!







Great post, Kori. I think most of us had a few years in the late teens/early 20's where we thought we knew what we wanted, but clearly had no idea! I think it's all part of becoming an adult. The great thing is we came out of it and know, for the most part, what we want out of life now, and most importantly, are cherishing every moment!
ReplyDeleteI thought this was a great post as well. And I had totally forgotten (or didn't know?) that you went to UCA.
ReplyDeleteI remember feeling completely lost as a freshman in college (even at 18). :)